Saturday 12 March 2011

Blast from the past

My broken arm!

Here is an X-ray of my broken arm.  Can you believe it was broken during a genteel game of cricket?  Yup, as well as the reverent sound of leather on willow was the sound of bone breaking and marrow mashing.  The injury was sustained whilst fighting for the never ending, everlasting glory of the Central YMCA team from the Bradford Sunday League though we played on Saturdays, work that one out?! 

Now before you all start singing "Young man, theres a place we can go, I said Young man.."  I just want to point out that as a new team entering the league we had to take up the name of the vacated 'Central YMCA' as they were one of the founder members of the league and so the 'name' had to live on.  The fact that we took the wicket in  Cowboys, Policemans, Steel workers and Indian Chiefs outfits has nothing to do with it .

Anyway, back to the arm.  I broke it by trying to reach the wicket from the boundary in one throw.  It was a long boundary. So, i thought,i need to flex my arm when i throw this, bad mistake.  SNAP.

I go down like a pack of cards as my team mates saunter over to me to see why I've decided to have a lie down.  The Asian team we are playing continue to run between the wickets, 22, 23, 24....So, whilst writhing in agony on the ground, my captain asks if anyone has any pain killers to which pipes up one of my team mates "I've got some Strepsils..?" 

Long story short, I'm out of action for 8 weeks, mostly in agony as I was told not to sleep laid down but to sleep upright...ok, try it..you can't.  Every time i got the 'noddy dog' the jerking awake movement split the bones apart again so the 'knitting together' process took longer than expected.

I still have the offending cricket ball as a macabre trophy of the day.  The hospital gave me the x-ray of my arm as keepsake as the breaking of the upper arm is quite unique.  I became a case study of one of the nurses!

Ouch!

1 comment:

  1. She had a fascination with your bone then?

    Pedro

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.