Thursday 29 March 2012

The Reserve

Now that Spring is beginning with a vengence I try to get down to the reserve and the river after work. As well as being very relaxing! there is so much actually going on.  For example just in the last two weeks I have seen Roe Deer (with Jo and my neighbour Andy), filmed a mink swimming in the river and playing on the bank (see my Utube film of this on the link i will post later) . The Kingfishers continue to flourish and myself, Andy and the reserve warden Steve were lucky enough to watch 3 Kingfishers fly in a line down the river.  Only today i sat and watched a Kingfisher feeding.  It would sit perched on a branch before dropping into the river (fully immersed) then fly back to the branch with a minnow in it's beak.  it would then bash the head of the minnow against the tree to kill or stun it before swallowing whole...fantastic..no washing up!

Anyway, here's a few pics I have taken in the last week or so down by the river..
(ps look out for my UTube links too)

Ahh my friend the Heron.  Always there or there abouts.  Here I caught him loitering on the river awaiting a fish or two to pass by...he never took his beady eye of me though...

Woody woodpecker!  I have got used to spotting him flying around the locale and here I spotted him atop the trip surveying his territory. Btw, he's a Greater Spotted Woodpecker.

I like this bird..Long tailed tit.  I've captured one of them here in the little woods surrounding the reserve and along the river bank.

This a Wren.  And for a month became public enemy number 1.  There are lot's of them by the river and their song/call is one of the loudest you will hear, probably the loudest of all songbirds, at tleast on a par with the blackbird.  They never stop moving, are so small and I never thought I would capture one on film..i don't think i did too bad...though it took a month of stalking!

My little friend the Wren..caught at last!

The majestic Kingfisher...I've spotted four in all, two pairs.  Very difficult to capture on film to be honest so i'm pleased with every shot i get.

This was taken Friday..he's thinking of going to the nest..which isn't far from this perch.  Patience pays off sometimes...

I've put this up because i really like it.  I saw this Mistle Thrush on the opposite bank from me and i liked the composition of almost sillhoutted Thrush (sic spelling) against the sunlit moist grass

It's not all about the birds! Here i came face to face with a common toad on one of the numerous ponds on the reserve.  Here's looking at you kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.