Saturday 11 May 2013

The Study

I've begun to put pictures up in my study.  These are some of them and the tale behind them..

This a large mural made up of different 'pages'.  It's a tribute to the 'Few'.
This is a MkXVI Spitfire built at Castle Bromwich in 1945.

This is a photograph of 'Just Jane', the Lancaster at East Kirkby airfield.  I have a 'Taxy ride' booked on her
in October this year and the Brothers who own her hope to have her flying in 2014.
I've seen her Taxy about 8 times now and its an amazing site and sound experience to see her with all four engines roaring!

I saw this photo and it invoked a very strong emotion of remembrance.  It's a reminder of the sacrafices made by so many.

This is a photo of the Bomb aimers capsule from a Lancaster.  I took this at the Dambuster museum at RAF Scampton.
Since then it has been signed by George 'Johnny' Johnson who was the Bomb aimer on AJ-T the Lancaster piloted by
Flt Lt Joe McCarthy on the famous Dambusters raid against the German Dams.  Johnny Johnsons plane made a successful attack against the Sorpe Dam.

One of my favourite photos.  Oliver and myself at the Grassington 'War weekend' 2012.
We attend quite a few Re-enactment weekends where i represent the 101st Airborne - the Screaming Eagles

A signed print of P7350 the oldest airworthy Spitfire and the only remaining flying Spitfire to have fought in the Battle of Britain.  The print is signed by the members of the Battle of Britain Memorial flight.

Another mural covering the most of one wall.  This is a view of Omaha beach, Normandy - D-Day +1

A precious and favourite photo.  My Mum and Dad, Joe and myself enjoying a sunny day in France.

This print was a gift to me from Jo's parents for acting as guide on a recent trip to the battlefields of Normandy.
It is of my favourite Normandy village, Ste Marie du Mont and the village remains unchanged today though the trees
are higher around the church.  I have a modern day photo of me taken in the same place as the soldier stood between the two tanks.

Easy company 101st airborne were part of the liberating force of this village and their famous attack on Brecourt Manor took place about 5km from this spot.

A photo that i took recently and am very proud of.  The lone Lancaster 'City of Lincoln' heads into a late Lincolnshire sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.