Monday 3 October 2011

The Malham Mountain

This Sunday I told Ollie we were going to climb a mountain.  "Ok.." he said rather nonchalently.  So, it was off to Malham, Malham Cove to be exact.  He thought I was joking. 

We parked up and off we trotted through the village up to the Cove.  His face was a picture when he saw it..."We can't climb that, it's too steep, it's a rock face!!" he rather worriedly said.  I told him not to worry and that by lunchtime he would be on top of it...

The funny thing is, the closer we got to it the higher and more vertical it became, i think he was slightly worried.

This is the Cove. It stands 260ft high (80 metres) and 300 metres wide, quite imposing.

"You want me to climb that!"

God loves a tryer..

Keep trying....


At this point i said we needed to put our heads together and think about how were going to get to the top.  I said I have a plan.......I'm going to use the steps..lol!
Ollie hadn't noticed the steps to the right of the Cove that take you all the way to the summit!

We did it son...it's er...a bit high..


"Wow Dad...I'm on top of the World!"

The view from the top is quite spectacular, the fine mist couldn't spoil the view Sunday..

It would appear that we are not the only ones to have ventured oop top...

This is a still taken from the film 'Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows'.  The Cove and the limestone
pavement were used in the filming..


That's Harry's tent in the background and beyond that views of Malham dale..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.