Monday 30 May 2011

Malham today

To celebrate the begining of Springwatch on BBC2 tonight and my blue tits leaving the nestbox I went to Malham in the hope of spotting the nesting pair of Peregrine Falcons.  According to text books the Peregrine can reach speeds of 320kmh (200mph) during it's hunting stoop making it the fastest extant member of the animal kingdom.  According to the RSPB website there are 1400 breeding pairs in the UK, slightly more than the 148 breeding pairs of Osprey in the UK, one pair of which I had the pleasure to see at Manton Bay, Rutland Water 3 weeks ago.

Believe it or not I managed to snatch a picture on my mobile phone..here it is!
Can you see it?

In case you can't, here is what a Peregrine looks like..

A magnificent bird.

I was lucky enough to see both the male amd female seeing the male in flight as it approached the cove.  One of them also made it's 'hawking' call as it flew overhead.

Also spotted today was my first ever Redstart..
Redstart, spotted at malham Cove today (web pic)

Spotted Flycatcher - spotted at Malham Cove today (web pic)


Grey Wagtail spotted at Malham Cove today (web pic)

Also seen today were Pied Wagtail, sweeping House Martins and two Little Owls although I was just to late to see the Owls.  Anyway,  a good afternoon was had in the fresh air of Malham.


Wet weather gear donned due to the bloody showery weather!
Bill Oddie eat your heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.